John's Diana Tribute Is Now World's Second Biggest Single Ever At 26 Million Copies
LONDON--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--Oct. 2, 1997--PolyGram Thursday announced that Elton John's single ``Something About The Way You Look Tonight''/``Candle In The Wind 1997'' has shipped more than 26 million units worldwide, making it the second most successful single ever after Bing Crosby's ``White Christmas'' which has sold more than 30 million copies (see Note A).
The record for second biggest selling single was previously held by Bill Haley and his Comets' ``Rock Around The Clock'' which has sold 25 million units (see Note A).
``Something About The Way You Look Tonight''/``Candle In The Wind 1997'' has been released in more than 40 countries, reaching number one in 21 of those so far, and it has broken a string of records all over the world.
- In the United States, the Rocket Records/A&M Associated
Labels single entered this week's Billboard Hot 100 chart at number one. The single is the fastest selling ever in the United States and the RIAA certified the record 8 times platinum in the first 24 hours it was on sale.
- It is the world's biggest selling single ever by a British artist.
- Shipments in the United Kingdom now exceed five million, the largest amount ever for a single there and the record is still at number one.
- Next week the single will enter the Japanese combined international and domestic music chart at number one. This will be only the second time in the chart's history that an international artist has entered at number one. The last time was in 1976.
- In Germany shipments have passed four million and the record is still at number one.
- In France more than two million units have been shipped and the record is still number one.
- More than 1.8 million units have been shipped in Canada and the record is still at number one.
- In South Africa the single has been certified platinum an incredible 12 times.
- The record is the biggest selling single ever in Austria and Belgium and in Norway where it has been certified platinum seven times.
- The single is the first ever to be certified gold in Israel. All Elton John artist royalties and PolyGram profits are being donated to the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund.
Note A: Source: Guinness Book of Records
For more information on this page and similar pages, contact the moderator of the NeoSoul Yahoo! group.